Gloria Virginia Winslow Borden is a lovely Christian lady with a strong, independent, adventuresome spirit whose positive outlook, faithful heart, solid commitment, strength and encouragement have had an awesome impact on my entire life. She is my mother!
My mother gave me life, love, physical, emotional and spiritual nourishment, a solid family and a warm & wonderful home. She was and is always there for me. She instilled in me values, principles and paradigms that have positively impacted my life and that I hope as a mom to pass on to my own children. Let me share a few:
- Her Christian faith & values allowed me to see Jesus as my Friend and Savior. She loved the Lord and along with my father faithfully took us to church every Sunday, had family devotions and centered our home on the Lord. She taught me to follow God’s commandments yet made serving the Lord a celebration of life! I will always remember a note on the refrigerator that said – “Is what you are doing pleasing to God?” My Mom role modeled a life that is seeking to please the Lord.
- Her commitment to marriage and family was unshakable. She was married to my Dad for 35 years before his death. I grew up with the security and stability of knowing that she believed that marriage was forever and that she would never forsake her commitment to my father. She not only spoke these words often but she lived them out daily always being diligent to work at strengthening her marriage. She often told us that the best thing parents can do for their children is to love each other.
- She was a “Stay at home Mom” with a commitment to being there to raise her children. Even though she had a college degree and a teaching credential she gave up a career to stay at home and be there for her children. (she did go back to work after her children were grown and had a dynamic and succesful 20 year career as a teacher and also earned her Masters Degree along the way – the best of both worlds!) I was blessed to have my Mom at my side for every important moment of my growing up years.
- Her positive attitude and her belief in me was amazing! I know that my successes and accomplishments in life are a result of my mothers attitude and words. She began each morning on a positive note saying…”This is the day the Lord has made, I will rejoice and be glad in it”. She truly looked at the positive side of life. She believed in me and told me on a regular basis that I was smart, talented, creative, beautiful, special, successful and good. She always shared her belief that I could do anything in life that I set my heart and mind on and that God had created me for a special purpose.
- Her adventuresome spirit is inspiring! Because of my Mom, I have a zest for living. She was never one to sit in front of the TV or lay around being “bored” (nor were we allowed to). Mom saw life as something to grab hold of and get the most out of and she taught me to do the same. Even into the 7th decade of her life she is zip lining through the rain forests of Costa Rica, teaching English in Thailand, walking the streets of New York City and cruising to Antarctica…to name a few!
- My mother is classy, cultured and proper lady. I have learned the importance of RSVPing (something sadly lacking in today’s society), writing thank you notes, dressy properly for the occasion, setting a proper table, speaking correctly, acting like a lady (and being treated like one from a true gentleman), having good manners and avoiding all appearances of evil. She also brought culture into my life making sure I was exposed to concerts, symphonies, the theater, musicals and museums. My life is richer because of her influence.
Those are just a few ways that she influenced my life. On this special day set aside to honor our mothers I want to say thank you to my Mom. I am truly thankful for all that she was, is and will continue to be in my life. I love you Mom!