I am one of “those” people.
Those odd people who love their lists…
…who live by lists
…who make lists for everything (and even keep files on the computer of “to do lists” for recurring events in my life)
…who start many conversations by saying “Let’s make a list”
…who torture their family with their never ending “to do” lists, chore lists, packing lists and “honey do” lists
…who have been known to add things to their list that they have already done just to have the satisfaction of crossing it off the list <it is a sickness, isn’t it?>
So it shouldn’t shock or surprise you that in honor of my 50th birthday I created a list. It began a week or so ago as I was pondering having lived 50 years of my life and what I would like to share with others who are still in the first half of life! (although they are great reminders for whatever season of life you may be in!)
So….here is my 5oth birthday list (complete with many “Bethisms”) for loving and living life…and of course there are 50 points!
1. Life is short and quickly passing by (was I not just 30 and in a twinkling of an eye be 70?)
2. Life is even shorter when compared to eternity (wisdom & logic would say to invest your self in eternity)
3. Life is an amazing gift – enjoy it!
4. Life is a precious gift – celebrate it!
5. Life is a beautiful gift – love it!
6. Life is a priceless gift – don’t abuse it
7. Life is a unique gift – don’t waste it
8. Life is a glorious gift – STOP worrying and stressing about it
9. Life is NOT a dress rehearsal! (this is the real performance people!)
10. Life is to be lived on purpose (and the occasional accidents are an exciting and sometimes course changing part of the ride)
11. Life – it’s not what happens to you in life that matters, it’s how you respond!
12. Life is not fair – “you get what you get & you don’t throw a fit!”
13. Life is not fair – if it were fair we would all be headed to hell (for all have sinned and fallen short and the price for sin is eternal death…but thanks be to God for sending us Jesus to pay that price for us! It was not “fair” that he had to pay the price…but I’ll take it!)
14. Life is not fair – it is not a matter of holding good cards in life…but of playing a poor hand well!
15. Life is hard…at times really hard.
16. Life is not a respector of persons – the sun shines and the rain falls on the good and bad alike (Yes, bad things happen to good people. If you still can’t accept that refer to “Life is not fair”)
17. Life ends in death for everyone: statistics say 10 out of 10 people die Live like you believe this fact!
18. Life’s ultimate goal and chief end is to glorify God and enjoy Him forever!
19. Life without love is nothing
20. Love is the answer ♥
21. Love covers a multitude of sins ♥
22. Love is not a feeling but an act of our will ♥ (we can always act lovingly without feeling the love)
23. Love is patient…enduring long ♥
24. Love is kind ♥ (so simple yet so very difficult…)
25. Love is unselfish and self sacrificing ♥
26. Love is life giving ♥
27. Love bears & endures all things, hopes & believes all things ♥
28. Love NEVER fails…it never gives up ♥
29. Love the Lord with ALL your heart, soul, mind & strength ♥
30. Love your parents and honor them ♥
31. Love your husband or wife (if you are single love your future bride or groom by waiting just for them and keeping yourself pure and unstained by this world) ♥
32. Love your children…hug and kiss them often, speak powerful words of life to them & discipline them (yes that is a part of love) ♥
33. Love your friends through the good, the bad & the ugly ♥
34. Love your neighbors (who is your neighbor? The one in need) ♥
35. Love your fellow believers – brothers and sisters is what they are called in the Word (even those from different denominations or those who have hurt you or that you vehemently disagree with) ♥
36. Love your enemies & pray for those who persecute you ♥ (this goes against our very nature and yet….)
37. Love and do good to those who hate you ♥ (yes that is oh so very hard)
38. Love your self for you are skillfully & wonderfully made by the Creator ♥
39. Give generously…even to a fault!
40. Be faithful to your commitments…don’t quit!
41. Discover your passions in life and pursue them whether or not they are practical, financially profitable or held in high esteem by society
42 Build on your strengths…don’t pay too much attention to your weaknesses (not as in weaknesses of sin…but in gifts, talents & abilities)…you can’t put in what God left out!
43. Think outside the box…you don’t have to do it the way it has always been done or the way everyone else does it
44. Decide how many children you want or that you can handle…and then have one more! (even better yet ask God to give you what He wants)
45. Take full responsibility for your life…don’t blame God, the government or others for your lack of opportunities or failures
46. Regular consistent personal disciplines – prayer, bible reading, exercise, weekly church attendance will pay off in the long run…both in this life and the one to come!
47. “Adoption” (of any type – a baby, foster child, an international orphan, a family in need, a floundering young person, senior citizen, single mom, widow, fatherless/motherless child, foreign exchange student…for any amount of time – short term, long term, permanent or for life) is something everyone should experience!
48. Make memories and take lots of photos (if you are blessed to live to a ripe old age…they will be such a treasure)
49. Done is better than perfect!
50. Give up your control issues as young as possible and let God be in control of everything… (so says this wise recovered control freak)
4 responses to “Fabulous 50: My List for Loving & Living Life”
Great list and thank you for taking the time to write it and especially for sharing it. Happy Birthday Beth!
Love your list and I know that you have lived up to each one. When I turned 50 I saw it as a Jubilee… I have to say that I have had so many blessings in my 50s. I love it. I am actually compiling a list for when I turn 60 is 2 years. I may just borrow some of your list. If you are having a birthday party… invite me would love to celebrate your 50th. 🙂
I’m right on your heels. 50 is right around the corner. I love your perspective. I love this post; wonderful advice! Thanks for sharing.
Number 18 is straight from The Westminster Catechism. If we could all to that, everything else would fall into place. Love and blessings to you on your milestone birthday, Mom